My Grocery List
My Grocery List
My friends and family have been frequently asking me what I buy and what's on my list because I'm so into reading and thinking about health. I will explain my philosophy on each later... everything listed below has health benefits and are just tasty. This represents basically everything I eat (sometimes breaking this list when I eat out). I would of course prefer to grow all of these things, but my schedule hasn't permitted at all times or I want things out of season.
Organic if possible, as with anything that is eaten w/o a rind or peel which is highly vulnerable to insects (ex. Tomatoes, peppers, and berries tested higher for pesticides than other fruits and veggies). It is really hard to get these things without any waste (or at least plastic waste), but it can be done!
- Dark berries - Black berries, blueberries, raspberries
- Arugula, baby kale, and/or spinach
- Broccoli and eggplant for roasting!
- Fresh mushrooms (more on mushrooms but for now - shitake, maitake, lions mane, oyster, reishi)
- Fresh turmeric
- Fresh garlic
- Cheese (my guilty pleasure I can't give up! Super hippy organic cottage and other types of cheese from grass-fed happy cows if possible)
- Walnuts, Pecans, almonds, macadamia, cashew
- Flaxseed ground, hempseed shelled, chia seeds
- Dried black beans
- Lentils - green or red
- Green tea (more on tea)
- Dried steal cut oats
- Apple Cider vinegar
- Coconut oil, olive oil, sesame seed oil, canola (I read find out where your olive oil comes from - California avoids the risk of use of other oils)
- Black pepper
- Himalayan Salt
- Cashew milk or soy milk (again there are only a few brands which are purely milk, water, salt, and nothing else. And they produce packaging waste)
- Corn tortillas (read the backs, some are only organic corn and no preservatives)
- Eggs (really fresh, happy chicken eggs)
- HOT SAUCE!!!! Either sontava or marie sharps Belizean heat
- Rice (need this for a complete protein with beans)
- Occasionally wild caught salmon But i worry about how it was fished and from where :( scuba diving makes you really worry about the affect of fishing on marine life. The farm raised salmon can be in really poor conditions which is good for no one either!
Other random things I love (seasonal, occasional, etc):
- Young coconuts
- Baby bananas